Friday, June 21, 2013

Getting the engine to start Part 4 - The fuel pump story continues and we have some success

Before I removed the fuel pump I checked the spark plugs. They all needed a good clean with a wire brush and I also checked for spark just to be on the safe side. Above is a video sorry about the quality. As you can see we have spark.
I again tried injecting fuel into the fuel bowls of the carburetor and again  with no success so in desperation I injected some fuel into the carburetors themselves and viola the engine fire up for a bit.
So back to the fuel pump. I removed the fuel pump easy really juts two 13mm bolts on either side. The pump seemed to be working but a bit sluggish and weak. So I took it apart very simple the inside looked a bit dirty so I gave it a clean and reinstalled the rubber impregnated diaphragm. I tested it with some fuel and wow what a difference fuel squirting down the drive way. So I reconnected it to the inlet filter pipe and it could not suck the fuel through. So I connected it to the fuel line directly and the pump worked so there must be a blockage in the pipe to or from the first filter.
Well after this I realized what had happened the fuel pump had been hoses connected the wrong way from the beginning so instead of sucking it was blowing into the tank. I managed to hand crank some fuel into the engine and she fired up!
Now I just need to wait for the grasket and new fuel line I ordered to come.

1962 Volvo P1800


How a mechinical fuel pump works

No comments:

Post a Comment