Sunday, July 14, 2013

Brakes 101

Lets face it, it is very important to be able to stop a car when it is in motion from time to time. My car currently does not run and even if it could cannot stop as the brakes don't work. So let start at the very begining.

http://volvo1800pictures.com/sweden/Volvo_1800_dokumentation_main_page_en.php


I check the out put from the master cylinder where it meet the servo brake cylinder all good.


Next I check the output from the brake cylinder. I skipped the branch union and checked the input to the caliper no problem there so I removed the caliper.



As you can see the rubber boots are all cracked and in bad condition so I will need to rebuild the brake calipers. I bought a rebuild kit from Rock Auto which has now arrived. Getting the piston out will be fun.

CENTRIC
$ 3.47 each
CENTRIC
$ 7.96 each




Repair kit and brake hardware
This website gives a step by step account of what imovolved in the rebuild.
http://www.swedishbricks.com/faq/brakes.html

Well I managed eventually to gett all the cylinders out of one of the calipers. I also manged to damage my tire inflator and had to buy a compressor at a yard sale for $75.


Compressor



Front Brake caliper broken down
Piston and pitting

Well after breaking down one caliper I check and cleaned up the pistons. It looks like I will need to replace them. The pitting on the large cylinder is to bad and the smaller ones are usable but not great. I will bite the bullet and buy a kit with cylinders.

 


http://www.vintageimportparts.com/p1800.pdf

525 Repair kit 1-circ. Caliper (includes pistons &gaskets) 2/car 1963-68 set $56.80

Brake calipers painted


 

No comments:

Post a Comment